Your Policy Can Get You Discounts on Car Insurance
Updated: January 2022
There are plenty of ways to save on your monthly insurance bill, including by simply having the right policy -- that’s right, your policy itself has the potential to earn you discounts. Whether it’s how long you’ve been with a particular company, how long you’ve been insured in general, or how and when you choose to pay your insurance bills, all savings count, so make sure you’re taking advantage of the following:
Save on Auto Insurance Now
This category of discounts is based on the relationship between you and the carrier you’re insured by. No matter how long you’ve been insured by a particular company, there are always potential opportunities to save. Here are some examples of customer-based discounts:
- Loyalty Discounts: Loyalty discounts are exactly what they sound like -- discounts for drivers that remain loyal to a particular car insurance carrier. How long you need to be insured by your carrier to earn this discount depends on the company, but we’ve seen discounts ranging from 5% to 25% off.
- New Customer Discounts: If you’ve just switched carriers, you might be eligible for a discount. The validity periods of new customer discounts vary between providers.
- Retention Discounts: If you’ve found a better quote from another carrier, it might be worth it to call up your current insurer and let them know -- in some cases, you might be offered a retention discount as a means of convincing you to stay with your current carrier.
- Continuously Insured Discounts: No matter who your carrier was, if you’ve been insured for six or more months, you could potentially get a discount.
The way you pay is one of the easiest ways to save on car insurance. Here are some common payment discounts available:
- Paper-Free Discounts: If you opt to get all your bills and messages online rather than in the mail, you could save.
- Online Payment Discounts: If you pay online instead of via mail, you might be eligible for a discount.
- Autopay Discounts: Many carriers offer discounts for customers that set up automatic payments.
- One-Time Payment Discounts: If you pay your insurance off at the beginning of the year instead of making monthly payments, you could get a discount.
- Bundling Discounts: Does your insurer offer other types of insurance that you need, such as home or life insurance? Bundling is a major way to save on car insurance.
The discounts we’ve described are not universally available from all carriers. We recommend asking your insurance provider about any discounts they offer to see how much you could save.
Saving on car insurance is easy with USACarInsurance.com. Our users save up to $744*/year -- fill in your zip code and see how much your rates could drop!